General Guideline to help with your next move
8 weeks before moving:
• Get estimates from about three professional movers.
• Draw a floor plan of your new home indicating where to place the furniture in each room.
• Decide which furniture you want to move, dispose of or just replace.
• Give the Chamber of Commerce a call for a new resident “information packet.”
6 weeks before moving:
• Inventory all your possessions and decide what to move, sell, or donate to charity.
• Complete the US Postal change of address forms and mail to stores and anyone else who may need to know your new address.
• Obtain copies of all medical, legal, and accounting records.
• Arrange for record transfers between schools on both ends of the move.
• Ask your tax advisor to review your potential moving related tax deductions and potential tax liability.
• Itemize moving related costs with mover including packing, loading, special charges, insurance, etc.
4 weeks before moving:
• Repair, reupholster, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as necessary.
• Have a garage sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes, etc.
• If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) one or two days before the move.
• If you move yourself, get adequate boxes, packing materials and tape.
• Get short-term or long-term storage if you will need it.
• Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 weeks before moving:
• Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials, equipment.
• Pack items you won’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
• Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
• Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 weeks before moving:
• Prepare you car for trip to new home. Check tires and have the car serviced before the move.
• Cancel newspaper and other delivery services.
• Confirm your new bank accounts.
• Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 weeks before moving:
• Gather your important papers, records, valuables, for protected shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
• Notify friends and neighbors of your new address, and phone.
• Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
• Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
• Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
• Plan simple meals for moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
• Pick up cash for your trip and a certified check for the mover’s invoice.
• Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
• Pack signed bill of lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
• Mark LAST BOX PACKED – FIRST BOX TO UNPACK containing tools, flashlights, etc.
• Give the mover a telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.